Monday 15 December 2008

Old and New... Lost and Bought !!!

A lot has happened this past month.
I lost my precious treasures... all my knitting notions and accessories and everything else. That's right... :"(
The movers lost a carton which had all my knitting goodies. Everything that I had got from my grandmother, everything that my mother gave me, everything that I bought myself in India and everything else that I had bought after coming to USA. All of it !!!
Although its been like 4 weeks that I have been following up with the movers, they have no news on where the carton vanished. Some of the stuff in it was brand new. I had never even used it once :( Moreover, I discovered yesterday that one of Elizabeth's DVDs was also in it...
I just cannot get over it.


How can I ever get even near to owning everything I had :(
I guess that teaches me a lesson. Never put everything you love together... Scatter it !!!

Anyways, since I had so much to knit for my baby to be and so much more I had to buy at least enough to get me started.
So I ordered some a straight and a circular knitting needles set from knit picks together with a set of double pointed needles.

I was so disappointed that I had to work on something simple, something that did not require me using my brain... so what better than working on a "Baby Kick Sack". I found this pattern on Ravelry, looked fairly simple, so I thought, why not !
I was not thinking while making it initially... I was so preoccupied with the thoughts of my loss, I was not seeing what an awful job I was doing while changing the stripes. The lower end of the following picture shows how I was not thinking, even though I knew better. I know how to make lovely jogless joins and also doing beautiful stripes in the round, but I was not thinking.
But I did regain my consciousness towards the end of it. Here is the finished object.

While I still cannot get over the loss, I knew better. I had to move on and concentrate on the projects I have in mind for my baby and me. So I made this.

I still have to embroider the facial details, but apart from that it is done. This pattern is from LionBrand Yarn and is also on available on Ravelry.

Next I made this little cutie.

I found this pattern on Ravelry as well ! (Yes, I needed a pattern since I had no clue about size and other dimensional details for baby knits.) However as you can see where the original pattern ended below, it was definitely too small.

So I improvised. I frogged back to just where the crown decreases had to be started and knit in stockinette till I thought the size was fine. Turned out so great after adding that cutie pom-pom on the top, which is btw my first attempt at making one (yeah first pom pom I made).

Next I made this. This is a vest pattern from Drops with button closures on one shoulder. Here it is on Ravelry.


Next in line was this baby. I tried to make this on my own since now I had an idea of the size. Absolutely love it !

All this while, I have also been working on this for me... but I am prioritizing my baby stuff over it. Currently it is only 60 % complete. The entire top is done. More details on this in my ravelry project page.

I found pictures of lovely tops made by some Russian girls on Ravelry and wanted to make one of my own. So I asked around and I started. The initial motif I worked on (see below) for the yoke, had too many big gaps which I didnt like. So I changed.

Will keep posting on the progress in future posts.
Meanwhile, I am also working on making Yeti from Berroco. Here it is on Ravelry. Its an adorable hoodie pattern and I have some homespun in my stash which I am using for it. Currently I am done with the back and front. I hope to finish the sleeves and hood today.

11 comments:

  1. So happy! happy!! to see a blog post from you! You are really on a baby knitting spree. Cant wait for the little fellow!

    Sorry to hear about the lost box. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy! happy!! to see a blog post from you! You are really on a baby knitting spree. Cant wait for the little fellow!

    Sorry to hear about the lost box. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you lost things with memories attached to them :(
    love the baby sweaters and hats..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you lost things with memories attached to them :(
    love the baby sweaters and hats..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Less than a month to go before baby's here, yay!!!! It's really sad that the box with all your knitting preciousness is lost. I hope that the movers can track it eventually.

    Your new needles have been clicking away with all the baby knits - cute, cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Less than a month to go before baby's here, yay!!!! It's really sad that the box with all your knitting preciousness is lost. I hope that the movers can track it eventually.

    Your new needles have been clicking away with all the baby knits - cute, cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about the box.I hope they find it soon.
    Love all your projects , specially the baby stuff.Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about the box.I hope they find it soon.
    Love all your projects , specially the baby stuff.Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry about the lost box. You must be feeling terrible. I hope you can trace it and get it back.

    Cute knitted stuff. That is one lucky baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry about the lost box. You must be feeling terrible. I hope you can trace it and get it back.

    Cute knitted stuff. That is one lucky baby :)

    ReplyDelete